- Currently enrolled in a BA/BS, or an MA/MS program
- Holder of Philippine passport with six-months validity as of 15-18 April 2019
- Must have a completed or working research paper on Japan
- Can give a public presentation of their research on 16 March 2019 @ UP Asian Center, QC.
- Philippine-Japan Relations
- History, Arts, Culture and Literature
- Migration and Mobility
- Social, Health, and Economic Policy
- Science and Technology
RESEARCH PAPER GUIDELINES
- Unpublished and solo-authored
- Either a completed paper or a working version
- Single-spaced, in Times New Roman, 12 font, and 15–20 pages
- Have an abstract (max 300 words)
- Uses APA citation style
SENDING INSTRUCTIONS and DEADLINES
- The zip file must be named Last Name, First Name, e.g., “Morales, Jerry.zip”
- Subject line should contain “Study Tour Japan.” This is for email filters.
- Documents must be sent on or before 5 pm, 8 March 2019.
FOR AUTHORS OF SHORTLISTED PAPERS (FINALISTS)
• Any valid ID indicating date of birth
• Proof of enrollment in current semester (any of the following):
2. Finalists will give a 15-minute presentation of their research on 16 March 2019 at the UP Asian Center, QC. The presentations will be open to the public. No presentation means ineligibility for the study tour. Presentations by proxies are not allowed.
3. Two (2) undergraduate and two (2) graduate finalists will take part in the study tour. The students are solely responsible for ensuring that their passport has six-months validity as of 15-18 April 2019. Winners may not transfer their slots to another student.
PRIZE: STUDY TOUR
Only the authors and presenters of the winning papers can take part in the study tour. It includes four-day stay in Japan, accommodations, and roundtrip airfare to/from Manila-Japan. The students will also visit academic institutions in Japan, and interact with Japanese scholars and researchers. Upon returning to the Philippines, they will be debriefed in May 2019.The Japan Foundation will provide additional details on the travel requirements, including visa processing.
Deadline of application: 8 March 2019, 5 pm
Announcement of shortlisted papers/finalists: 12 March 2019
Research Competition: 16 March 2019
Study tour: 15 to 18 April 2019 (Tentative. Final dates will be announced later.)
Debriefing: May 2019 (Exact date will be announced later.)
ABOUT THE RESEARCH COMPETITION
The research competition aims to encourage Japan-related research among Filipino students, to disseminate knowledge and exchange perspectives on Japanese Studies. It is organized by the Asian Center and Japan Foundation, Manila.
For queries, please use this inquiry form: bit.ly/studytourquestion. As much as possible, please do not send any query via email, since we may overlook it given the volume of emails we can/will receive. The inquiry form allows us to centralize all questions in one location.