A Collection of Essays on Filipino Contemporary Visual & Performing Arts
Published by the Japan Foundation, Manila, Art Archive (Vol. 01) is the first book in a series that explores current trends and concerns in Philippine contemporary art. Featuring essays by contemporary artists, performers, art writers, curators, journalists, and experts in the field of Philippine contemporary art, dance, and theater, it aims to illuminate the state(s) of visual and performing arts in the Philippines today.
The essays put forward a diverse set of perspectives about contemporary visual and performing arts in the archipelago. We hope that this much needed publication will serve as a resource for readers interested specifically in Filipino art and also contribute constructively to the dialogue on contemporary art in Southeast Asia.
In line with the Japan Foundation’s aim of carrying out comprehensive international exchange programs throughout the world, the book is published in a digital format for accessibility and distribution on a global scale. As a primer, it is meant to be used as a resource to foster cultural exchange and knowledge sharing for artists, educators, curators, museum-goers, galleries, performing arts spaces, and art and cultural institutions in the Philippines and abroad.
- “NEW TRAJECTORIES OF CONTEMPORARY VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS IN THE PHILIPPINES” by Patricia Tumang
- “EXCAVATING SPACES AND HISTORIES: The Case of Shop 6” by Ringo Bunoan
- “VISUAL ARTS AND ACTIVISM IN THE PHILIPPINES: Notes On A New Season of Discontent” by Lisa Ito-Tapang
- “BRIDGE OVER THE CURRENT: Artist-Run Festivals in the Philippines” by Mayumi Hirano
- “REFLECT & REGENERATE: A Community Conversation About Organizing Ourselves” by Marika Constantino
Movement & Performativity
- “UNDERSTANDING THE CONTEMPORARY IN PHILIPPINE THEATRE” by Sir Anril Pineda Tiatco, PhD
- “MAPPING OUT CONTEMPORARY DANCE IN THE PHILIPPINES” by Rina Angela Corpus
- “S A _ L A B A S / O U T S I D E R S: A Brief History of Why/When/Where We Do What We Do in Performance” by Ness Roque-Lumbres & Sarah Salazar-Aronson
Redefining Contemporary Visual Art
- “GLOBAL FILIPINO CONTEMPORARY ARTISTS” by Jewel Chuaunsu
- “CONTEMPORARY VISUAL ART IN CEBU” by Duffie Hufana Osental
- “FILTERS: A View of Recent Philippine Contemporary Photography” by Irwin Cruz